Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Iman Khadeeja & Ranya Fatimah

I've been way behind in updating my blog. I guess been pretty busy in tending to my 2 gorgeous princesses. I can't believe that tomorrow they'll be a month "young" already. Time sure flies.

Seems like yesterday when my water broke a day earlier than my planned c-section schedule. It was 745am and I just woke up. Unlike most people I wasn't really confused about whether it was urine or amniotic fluid because the fluid wasn't trickling out, it was GUSHING when I stood up from the bed :p I guess double the baby = double the fluid.

I called my mum to tell her, after which Lan and I rushed out in a fury to get my hospital bag (which thankfully was pack the night before) drop by my parents house to hug Ryan (who was devastated he had to stay home) and sped to SDMC, Subang.

I was pretty lucky that it was a public holiday for Selangor so Lan was home, morning traffic was also pretty clear so we managed to arrive at the hospital in 15 minutes. The contractions started every 10 minutes when I was in the car and I managed it via breathing techniques (or whatever I remembered from Ryan's class 2 years ago :p). Since we did our pre-admission earlier, we went straight to the labour ward.

Hehe the nurse looked a bit shocked when I stride in announcing that my water broke and I'm expecting twins. Seperti biasa muka sardine :p There was a flurry of activities after that. When the nurses check at around 9am-ish I was already 6cm dilated (after less than 2 hours) too bad wasn't able to deliver normally or it would have been a very quick labour. Anyway had to go through the labour pain for 2 hours without gas/painkillers etc because I had to wait for the anaesthetists to administer the drug before the procedure.

I was wheeled in the preparatory operation room around 10am. Lan was able to accompany me up till that point only. The anaesthetist came in to explain "stuff". Thank god I already know my choices because I don't know how I would have been able to make the decision with the pain being so strong at that point.

After signing the agreement form, it was time to go into the operation theatre. Had to say goodbye to my husband at that point, so that was pretty sucky having to go through the process alone this time around :( ie no one to scream abuses to haha :p

Thank god the nurses, anaesthetist and Dr D was in good cheer. Everyone was joking around so I was able to keep myself calm. The anaesthetist inserted the anaesthetic thingy at the base of my spine, the process wasn't painful but a bit uncomfortable. He commented that I'm pretty calm compared to most ladies having to go through an emergency surgery, I just smiled and said "Nothing much I can do about it, right ?" And Dr D was like " dia memang macam tu, ok je all the time"

After 2-3 minutes the docs checked whether I've started feeling numb, I told them I can't feel the pain no more, so they take it as a YES and Doc D told me she's gonna cut a small section and please tell her if I feel any pain (I can't see anything as they put a screen between my chest and belly). After that I felt a lot of tugging and pulling but no pain. 10 minutes passed when I hear the sweet sound of the baby crying :) the ever so cheery anaesthetist (whom I can't remember his name for the life of me) practically shouted " it's a girl" :) Two more minutes of tugging, another cry joined the room and I was told " you got another baby girl and they are perfect :)"

The nurses cleaned the babies up and did the whole Apgar testing and when they are done, showed the two babies to me. Unlike Ryan's birth I wasn't able to hold and nurse them immediately because I was still on the operating table getting sewn back up :p at the same time I was told by the paediatrician that she had to rushed the younger twin to the nursery to be put under the warmer as she's a bit small and wasn't able to regulate her temperature on her own.

The process of getting me stitched back up is longer than the "cutting" process, anyway I learned more about my dear gynea and her love for designer bags especially "Hermes" and how she bought her 4 kids a BMW each haha. Jealous mak :p. Everything was all done by 11am and I was put under observation for 30mins before being wheeled back to my room.

Anyway seeing Lan waiting outside the OT was such a relieved :p we had to wait for a bit before they send "kakak" to us. Adik wasn't warmed out enough so we had to wait even longer.

I had a bit of a scare when I started bleeding heavily 2 hours after the surgery. I remember telling Lan that I felt clammy and uncomfortable and maybe we should ask the nurses to changed the sheets. When the nurse came in, she was shocked to see I was soaked in blood from waist to toe. They administer some pitocin, massage blood clots out of me and I was given some painkiller. I remembered feeling drowsy as hell but refusing to sleep until I get to see both my girls.

We were in the hospital for 4 days 3 night. Had to stay a day extra because my kakak had a bad case of jaundice. Alhamdullilah her birubilin level decreases after a few rounds of phototheraphy, so we were cleared to leave the next day.

So far my journey taking care of the girls who Lan and I decided to name Iman Khadeeja and Ranya Fatimah has been pretty smooth. Alhamdullilah :) of course it is a bit of a challenge taking care of 2 newborns and a very jealous 2 year old but we've managed so far with the help of my parents, sister and a whole load of patience. Mr Azlan is really taking his role as daddy anak 3 fantastically :) so lucky to have him around (buek he made me write this)

More on the progress of Ryan, Iman and Ranya once I get the time to blog on my lappie and not the BB like I'm doing now (should spend less time online shopping haha)

I can't believe I'm a mother of 3 at 28 hahaha


Sha said...

They are so cute. Congrats Far

Izyan Darling said...

double congratulations Far! they are simply adorable. good to know that all went well. how does it feel like having twins? they're not identical, are they? bestnyaaa! double the fun of dressing them up. :) confirm Lan pening hehe.

~f@R~ said...

Sha: Thanks bila nak visit babies?

Izyan: Thanks :) nope they are not identical tapi muka agak sama that it can get quite confusing some times.Having twins is quite fun once you get pass the double feeding/diaper duty hehehe

Nada Fal said...

I am wondering about the c-section of the twin; how much time it took for you to get back to everyday activities? Since you have an older child you must carry him every now and then.

~f@R~ said...

I think it took me about 2 weeks to be able to walk normally without being out of breath or in pain, but I didn't carry Ryan for about 3 weeks or so itupun sikit2 je. The trick to fast recovery based on my own experience and others is to eat solid as soon as doc said ok and to start walking as soon as possible. Alhamdullilah recovery went well for me.