Friday, January 28, 2011

Touched by an Angel...

A few years back, I got to know a girl from work. We were never close but I greatly admire her attitude. In my opinion she’s the most positive person that I’ve ever met in my life. Let just call her W

2 ½ years back when we were both preparing for our engagement, she found out that her mum is suffering from cancer. Having to deal with a very difficult boss, late nights at work, preparing for an engagement and taking care of her sick mum must not be easy, but every morning she’ll come to work and greet us with a smile. I feel like a total ass when I’m there fretting over a pimple a week before my big day and there she was consoling me, when obviously she had bigger things to deal with.

Fast forward a few months later, due to her mum’s health and husband’s-to-be request, her wedding date was brought forward by 3 months (I think), she had about 1 ½ month to make preparations but she was really cool about it. No Bridezilla moments. She had her wedding dress done, deco, cards and caterers chosen and booked without any drama. She made it so simple and it turn out to be one of the most beautiful wedding I’ve attended.

When I was about 3 months pregnant with Ryan, W found out that she’s pregnant. A few weeks later she suffered from a miscarriage and lost the baby. When I saw her after she came back from her medical leave, I wanted to cry but not because I felt sorry for her but because I can’t imagine if I can be as strong as she is if I have to go through the same tests. She told me with a smile that she truly believes that Allah has better plans for her and instead of being caught in any self absorbed pity party she started asking me about my pregnancy (which I doubt is easy) and we had fun laughing and joking around.

She left the organization shortly after and we didn’t really keep in touch. I do hope she’s really happy wherever she is but my short friendship with W left me with one of the greatest lessons in my life and it changed my perspective on a lot of things.

Before when bad things happen I always think “shit happens… but only to me” now I choose to be more positive instead. I have so many good things going for me so it made no sense to concentrate only on the horrible memories. I also learned the best thing way to get out of a rut/bad mood is to do something nice to others. Instant mood elevator :) You see good vibes attract good karma, and Allah is fair, he knows what is good for you even when you don’t know it yourself.

No comments: