Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Harry Potter Baby Shower D.I.Y Ideas

I was tasked with hosting a baby shower for Najwa last week. So the first thing I did was to choose a theme as it will be easier to coordinate decorations that way. A few theme choices come to mind but since the mummy-to-be and a few of the attendees are avid Harry Potter fans, I decided to go in that direction.

Before I started working on the gifts and deco, I went to several arts and craft shops to scout for potential ideas and to work out my budget. The pros of choosing a theme like Harry Potter is its novelty. I think it is a fresh and quirky theme to work with. The only problem is there are not many ready made items, which can easily be bought of the shelves, which means plenty of D.I.Y projects *yeay*.

Project 1: e-Invite


The invitation is the easiest project of all. After I've finalized the date and venue, I went straight to Microsoft Paint to work on the template for the invitation. With some inspiration taken from Pinterest and google *lo and behold* an Owlgram for the invitees.

Project 2: Diaper Cake


I think I've shared the method of constructing a diaper cake in my previous post "How to Make a Diaper Cake". This time around I've decided to create a 3 tier cake, with a baby blanket acting as a base for the top tier. I choose an owl to represent Hedwig (Harry's Owl) and made her wizard hat from black construction paper. To further complement the cake, I bought quill ribbons, owl toys, round glasses and printed the Hogwarts crest. Of all the diaper cakes that I've made so far, I would say this is one my favorite :)

Project 3: Personalized Rompers 


This was not a planned project, I first ordered the rompers from an online shop, but the seller backed out at the very last minute (horrible experience didn't even inform me until I send in messages to ask). I had to think of a back up plan real fast. Since there is no RTW Harry Potter rompers available in Malaysia, I bought some plains rompers in Mothercare and Sharpie "Stained" (for use on fabric) and started "staining" the fabric. 

My designs are usually freehand, but to be safe I drew the design with pencil first and trace it back with marker. It is a time consuming process as you're not working on a smooth surface, so make sure you're not in a rush while doing this. Once you're done, just leave the rompers for about an hour to dry before pressing on the design with hot iron for the colors to set in. After that, you wash the rompers in cold water and leave it to dry to ensure that the colors will not run. I made 3 different design, 2 of which with iron-on Owl embellishments. The rompers was roll over and is a part of the diaper cake "ingredients". 

Project 4: Potter Decos



Customized Decos
  • Harry Potter inspired cupcakes from The Baking Fairies
  • Owlgram personalized brown bags for each attendees to bring their goodies home.
  • Magic Potions (Amortentia - Red, Felix Felixis- Yellow, Veritaserum-Blue and Dragon Blood- Green) as customized favors for everyone. I've you're wondering, the gourmet soda is from the Jelly Bean brand that I purchased from Candylicious OU.

Decorations D.I.Y which are not clearly captured in the photo above
  • Bertie Botts Every Flavored Candy in a Martini Glass (I bought Jelly Bean in tropical flavors, to get the rainbow colors. FYI, they have one which offers similar flavors to the ones in the book (earwax, grass etc) but I don't think my friends and I are that adventurous)  
  • Gringots Gold Chocolate Coin 
  • Charm Chocolate in House Colors (Hershey Kisses in Red, Blue, Yellow and Green Foils)
I had so much fun planning for this shower. Alhamdulliah everyone had fun and the mummy to be loved the concept. OMG now I'm itching to throw another party, maybe I should start planning for the kiddies birthday in December :p

Press on the link for more ideas on Harry Potter Party DIY

Happy D.I.Y-ing everyone

No comments: