Monday, June 9, 2008

Who is "IRRATIONAL" now?

The fact that the petrol price is now RM2.70 per litre is old news to everyone, I believe the increase are expected by most people. But what shocked me is the quantum and the suddenness. After all the talk of the increase should be expected around August and they suddenly sprang the "SOOPRISE" on us *sigh*

Trust me it was one of the bleakest Wednesday night, it was raining, jam all over, my tank was pointing to zero... and still have to queue up for 1/2 hour with KIASU people filling RM10 worth of petrol into their tank... I do question the rationales of their action, but to each his/her own, right?

*allhamdullilah* That I am able to cope with the changes... I do wonder how people who are receiving lower pay coping with the price hike. The petrol price is one issue, foods/goods price rising is another... I don't see the government taking any "real" action in solving the issue. What really pisses me off is the "comments" made by some of the "senior ministers"

Quote from The Star Online (09/06/08) "On calls by certain quarters that Cabinet ministers’ allowances be reduced and the savings passed on to consumers, Shahrir said that it was “irrational”." I'm seriously wondering why is the call irrational? The ministers are supposed to "serve" the country, I am not suggesting that they should start working for free, but why do they need all of the extra allowances when some of the individuals in this country are feeding on snails?

I usually refrain from commenting on politics as I find the whole topic depressing and uninspiring (as compared to shoes :p). However, the comments made for the past few weeks on the petrol hike got me thinking. Do they think that people nowadays will easily "buy" anything that comes out from the leaders mouth?

On the issue of "subsidy" (if that is even the right word to use) If we produce our own oil, and we don't buy it from other countries, technically we don't subsidize the price. We're actually just selling the oil at a cheaper price, meaning Petronas is getting lesser profit (not loss), but as most things are, the definition is open to other interpretation.

I don't think much can be done to stop the petrol price hike (supported by the speculative pricing in the futures market) what can be help is the governments efforts to be more people friendly and less self-serving (which what majority of them are)

What I can do to control my finance:
1. Stop buying shoes & clothes
2. Stop buying *period* (i.e magazines, Starbucks, chocolates etc)
3. Stop spending money on food, unnecessarily
4. Don't wander around aimlessly- save petrol ;p
5. Stay at home, minimize movie watching, window shopping (which always leads to buying "something" and not go out for lunch unless necessary

I'm snoring & crying inside (drama, much?) @ the thought of being more frugal.

Good Luck everyone :)

No comments: